Saturday, 29 December 2012

Looking Back on 2012

Apart from losing our dearly beloved Bubba (I really felt his absence when coming home this Christmas), 2012 hasn't been too bad a year. In fact, it has been an excellent year really...a year where I fell in love with life and its adventures again and where I felt myself grow stronger little by little once more.

I can't get over the fact it is 2012 really...I remember when the Millennium was a new idea and now we are already marginally into this new century...

So this is a quick look back at this fantastic year and its key moments...

I will remember 2012 for (in no particular order)...
  • The fact I became such good friends so quickly with a really lovely bunch of people in Bristol - teachers and students - who truly made my year with all their support and positivity. I had so much fun that even on late nights out I stayed up til the wee hours effortlessly (which is difficult for me, but I suspect old age and needing less sleep also contributed...along with the power of TEQUILA).
  • Cooking for 30 people with the help of my super pal Zoe on a summer's eve in June. We cooked a phenomenal amount of food and everyone was raving about the event for a long time after. It was a proud moment.
  • The new Fleet Foxes album: Helplessness Blues. I haven't liked a whole album in a long time and this was an excellent find.
  • Lots of kisses from a whole array of varied and interesting men... Yes, in 2012 whilst there was no regular man, there was lots of variety and I put my singledom to good use and learnt some important lessons along the way.
  • Discovering my love for bodies of water. I took so much pleasure living by a tidal river in Bristol (despite not being the most attractive of rivers) and now I live near the sea and when you want a distraction moving water is certainly a great and simple solution. Plus it is beautiful as the sun sets and rises and by the light of the moon.
  • Developing my understanding of English Grammar - I don't think I need to explain this one really.
  • Conquering my mild fear of children - with my trip to Italy starting as a good base and now the last three months of teaching them. I'm not as disconnected with them as I thought, nor are they the hazardous balls of danger to be treated with oven gloves that I thought they were... though that is not to say they don't keep me on my toes...
  • Speaking of Italy...I survived it...this is also an achievement - to see why, click here.
  • My first ever decent pair of leather boots - I never thought I was a boot girl, they always annoyed me and made my feet overheat...but things change. Not only did the pair my mother bought for me work wonders on the sex appeal front, they keep my feet dry from the stupid amount of rain we've had this year. A total godsend if you ask me...
  • Having more time to paint and write... This I am always thankful for.
  • Beautiful views - certainly in Spain but also in parts of Bristol.

     

  • My dad's wedding of course...can't miss that out...
  • Meeting such a nice bunch of people in Spain and sliding into another TEFL job quite easily and learning to relax more and let go of stress...
So there you have it...what I can remember and muster up from 2012. I'm off out to London tomorrow and onwards towards Hemel Hempstead for New Year for a Prohibition 1920's swing night (should be fun!). I hope you all have a very excellent New Year and I look forward to seeing what 2013 brings for all of us...Until then...
Much Love xxx

2 comments:

...Tabiboo... said...

What a fabulous year! And here's to many more. Happy new year,

Nina x

Lucy in the Clouds said...

(Belated) Happy New Year! 2012 sounds wonderful, I like the idea of lots of kisses! Might pursue that particular one this year!! xx